Frequently Asked Questions:
- 1. What number should I call if I have an emergency?
You may call 943-5766 or 9-1-1.
- 2. How should I report an animal to Animal Control?
Within the city limits, please call the Lawrenceville Street Department at 943-2417. (If the Street Department staff is out, you may call City Hall at 943-2116.) In the county, please call 943-5766.
- 3. When is trash collected?
Residential trash is collected on Wednesdays for those residents living east of 10th Street, Residential trash is collected on Thursdays for those residents living east of 15th Street and west of 10th Street, Residential trash is collected on Fridays for those residents living west of 15th Street. Paid water and sewer service are necessary to be eligible for trash collection service, which is included with monthly billing. Trash must be curbside by 6:00 am on your assigned day, and each residence should use the Republic trash containers. Collection may be a day late if a holiday falls on any day of the week.
Automated Trash Cart Procedure
Utilizing an automated truck for collection is more efficient and safer than using the standard rear end load collection vehicles. The utilization of the carts will also make trash day easy, neat and hassle free for you.
Our automated trucks operate a mechanical arm which wraps around the trash cart and empties the contents into the top of the truck. Our carts are specifically designed for this collection system. Please do not purchase extra containers at a local store as they will not work with our system.
One trash cart will be delivered to each home. If you find that you have additional trash and require a second container, please contact City Hall (618/ 943-2116) for guidance on the possibility of obtaining an additional cart OR call the Republic Customer Service Department (866/760-2182) so we may address the issue.
To ensure driver safety and orderly waste collection, it is necessary to follow the procedures below correctly:
- On trash day, please place your cart within four feet of the roadway.
- Please be sure there are at least three feet of clearance between your cart and any other object, i.e., mailboxes, trees, vehicles, guide wires.
- Please do not overload your trash cart. Place excess BAGGED trash next to the cart. If you find that you consistently have extra trash bags, contact City Hall or call Republic Customer Service Department (866/760-2182) so we may help to resolve the issue.
- Place the cart at the curb with the wheels away from the street. This will prevent damage to your cart lid as well as enable your lid to close after emptying.
- Every other week, Republic will pick up heavy items as listed below. These items must have stickers (purchased at City Hall) and must be placed curbside. Items NOT properly stickered will be picked up by Republic with additional charges applied to that residential water bill.
The following items will each now require five or more stickers each:
couch, chair, mattress, box spring, table, door, toilet, dresser, roll of carpet (per 4′ length), or other item.
Please note that NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE ALLOWED IN THE TRASH. This includes but is not limited to: TVs, computers, monitors, key boards, etc.
- All trash needs to be bagged and held within the trash cart. Should you have any unusual items, please contact City Hall or call Republic Customer Service Department at (866/760-2182) for assistance.
Any trash or garbage not allowed in the regular pickup will be picked up by the City and charged to your water bill or you may place stickers on these items. The stickers and prices are available at City Hall.
Should you have any questions, Republic’s office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (EST). You may call Republic toll free at (866/760-2182). You may also call City Hall at (618/943-2116).
- 4. How can I get residential or business water and sewer service connected?
You must come to City Hall and complete the required forms. If you are renting a dwelling, there is a deposit of $200.00 as well.
- 5. What do I do if I have fallen tree limbs due to storm damage?
Please call City Hall at 943-2116 and put the fallen limbs curbside. The City Street Department will come and pick up the limbs. (If you cut limbs, you may bring them to the Street Department at 1501 South Third Street. Please call ahead (943-2417) to ensure staff will be present to accept delivery. There is no charge for you to dump limbs.)
- 6. How do I get information about a building permit or zoning?
Please call City Hall at 943-2116 and ask for Chief White or the City Clerk Nolan.
- 7. When is yard waste collected?
Yard waste is grass clippings, leaves, and twigs or limbs less than 4 feet in length. Yard waste is collected on Mondays, and the items must be either bundled, in trash cans, or in brown paper yard waste bags. Yard waste must be curbside by 6:00 am, May through October.
- 8. Where can I get information about cemetery lots and grave markers?
You may contact the Sexton at 943-5620. For purchasing information, please contact the City Clerk at 943-2116. The price for one space is $300.00, and the price for a lot (two spaces) is $600.00, payable to the City of Lawrenceville.
- 9. Is there a Veterans’ Affairs Office at City Hall?
The State of Illinois has a Veterans’ Service Officer downstairs at City Hall. The number for the VSO is 618/943-6189.
- 10. Is there an employment assistance office at City Hall?
Yes, the number for CEFS is 618/943-4442.
1. 11. Is there a City E-Mail ?
Yes, it is “firstname.lastname@example.org”
1. 12. What are the City Holidays
DATES (ON WHICH) HOLIDAYS OBSERVED BY THE CITY:
New Year’s Day Monday, January 1, 2021
Martin Luther King , Jr. Monday, January 18, 2021
Lincoln’s Birthday Friday, February 12, 2021
President’s Day Monday, February 15, 2021
Good Friday Friday, April 02, 2021
Memorial Day Monday, May 31, 2021
Independence Day Thursday, July 4, 2021
Labor Day Monday, September 6, 2021
Columbus Day Monday, October 11, 2021
Veterans’ Day Wednesday, November 11, 2021
Thanksgiving Day Thursday, November 25, 2021
Friday following Thanksgiving Friday, November 26,2021
Christmas Eve Friday, December 24, 2021
Christmas Day Monday, December 27, 2021
New Year’s Eve Afternoon Friday, December 31, 2021
1. 13. When does the City Council Meet?
The City Council meets at 7:00 P.M. on the second Thursday of each month in the Civic Center. (Subject to change by the Mayor or Council)
The City has an operating budget up to $ 5,800,000 a year.
Lawrenceville has 7 Police Officers 3 Office, 5 Street, 3 Utility and 4 Park-Cemetery employees. We hire part- time employees in the summer months.